VoIP has become a common standard in teleconferencing industry because of its many remarkable features. Let’s have a quick glance at the must-to-know about this important technology.
VoIP acronym stands for Voice over IP. In a nutshell, it means the capability to deliver voice conversations and multimedia communication (especially video conferences) through the Internet or/and any private network that supports the IP protocol.
Thanks to its remarkable features (like the dynamic allocation of resources), VoIP has been always regarded as a key-technology to ensure fast and inexpensive teleconferencing services. Not surprisingly, it is massively utilized by teleconferencing service providers today.
Hi Definition means the ability to deliver voice to the participants of a conference in a way that it sounds clear and seamless, and without echoes.
The main methods to accomplish online VoIP teleconferencing are two: the first one is to send a phone call to special conference hubs that support a large number of codecs and do not have to connect to local exchange providers; the second is to directly connect the MPLS (Multi-Protocol Label Switching) carrier and the phone provider to a carrier cloud. In comparison with conference hubs, the latter offers the possibility of a firewall protection for extra security and requires much less equipment.
An example of a modern VoIP teleconferencing service is R-HUB TurboMeeting http://www.rhubcom.com a suite of highly performative conferencing servers that assure user calls with high quality audio that can be mixed with traditional telephone calls (PSTN).
Features. Users will find several tools in VoIP teleconferencing apps that can help them to save time and, more in general, will assure them a good experience. The more common features include:
- Screen sharing. As the name suggest, it allows users to see what happens on the screen of somebody else. For example, it is possible to make a full visual presentation during a conference call with figures, charts, reports, graphics, and any kind of relevant information.
- Outlook integration: It is possible to directly invite your outlook contacts to a conference simply through one click.
- Green room. It is the possibility to have a little conference with specific speakers ahead of time, in order to carefully plan the upcoming conference.
- Lecture mode. You can mute participants and change a conference into something similar to a lecture. In this way, it becomes possible to make a presentation without the risk of being distracted or interrupted.
- Speech-to-text. Through this feature, the conversation is automatically transcribed. This can be helpful when there are some foreigners among the participants.
Other useful features are conference recording, speaker identification, and the function “Raise Hand” that allows participants to butt in for possible questions.
Prices. They depend on many factors and vary from provider to provider. As a rule of thumbs, VoIP teleconferencing is not expensive, and many companies offer free packages for private usage. Competitions are high and on the increase in this industry, so expect a scenario of low prices still for long.